How to Spread Positivity and Lift People’s Spirits
Thursday, June 1 is National Say Something Nice Day, so why not celebrate the day spreading positivity and lifting people’s spirits!
It’s no secret that we tend to feel our best when we’re living with a positive attitude. When you’re able to get through your everyday responsibilities and tasks with a happy and positive outlook, you’re less likely to succumb to overwhelming stress and anxiety, which could otherwise lead to burnouts, weakened performance in the workplace, and stressed relationships. Living a positive and happy life is not only beneficial to you, but it’s just as important for anyone you come into contact with. Having a bubbly and positive attitude can be contagious, and often causes those around you to be in high spirits as well. The best way to affect those around you in a positive way is to not only be a positive person yourself, but to also treat those around you in respectful and positive ways. In honor of today being National Say Something Nice Day, here are some tips on How to Spread Positivity and Lift People’s Spirits.
How to Live Positively in Your Own Life
- Understand the importance of rest. Allow yourself time to unwind, clear your head, and give your body and mind the rest they deserve.
- Hit the gym! Exercising releases endorphins, which in turn will put you in a positive and happy mindset.
- Implement yoga and meditation into your daily routine. Setting aside time in your day to meditate and practice yoga will help keep your stress levels down and your overall mind and body health at an all time high.
- Form positive relationships with those in your life. If there’s anyone in your life that is holding you back or constantly putting a damper on your mood, take the necessary steps to prevent them from doing so.
- Find a hobby. Whether you decide to create something, have been wanting to get into reading, or enjoy something as simple as a daily walk in the park, having time in your day dedicated to doing something you enjoy is sure to put you in a good mood.
- Live generously. Whether this means helping someone close to you with errands if they’re overwhelmed with a busy day, or donating to a charity of your choice, living generously and helping those in need is an easy way to feel good about yourself.
- Respect yourself and make sure others respect you as well. Don’t do anything that makes you uncomfortable and don’t allow others to put you in an unwanted position or treat you in a way that you’re not okay with. Having respect for yourself and being treated by others with that same respect will always ensure that you’re living a positive life.
- Pamper yourself once in a while. We all deserve some pampering here and there, and whether it involves buying yourself something you’ve been wanting forever, taking yourself out to an expensive dinner, or splurging on a full day at the spa, it’s definitely a well-deserved pick me up every once in a while.
- Recite positive affirmations to yourself at the beginning of each day. Starting your day off on a positive note by reciting positive affirmations will put you in the right mindset and is a sure fire way to ensure your entire day runs smoothly.
- Make a list of things that bring you happiness and joy and add on to it each day. At the end of the day, read your list and recognize how many positive things you have in your life. Even if your day wasn’t so good, reading this list at the end of each day will lighten your mood and lift your spirits, resulting in overall happiness and positivity.
How to Lift the Spirits of Those Around You
- Smile at people you make eye contact with, even if you don’t know them.
- Never underestimate the power of a compliment! Even a compliment as small as telling someone you like their shoes can turn their entire day around for the better.
- Reach out to someone you haven’t spoken to in a while. Ask them how they’ve been, and maybe even pick a date to get together and catch up on things.
- Send someone a handwritten note. Whether it’s a get well soon card, a thank you card, or even just a letter saying hello, a handwritten note is a simple way to lift someone’s spirits and is more personal than a text message or a phone call.
- Give someone you care about a gift just because. This doesn’t have to be an expensive grand gesture. Something as simple as picking up your mom’s favorite piece of candy on your way to visit her or buying your significant other their favorite dessert on your way home from work are inexpensive ways to put a smile on their face.
- Remember important events in the lives of people you care about, such as their birthday or a big job interview, and reach out to them on those days. It always feels good to know someone’s thinking about you.
- Let those around you know you appreciate them. Don’t always assume someone knows how you feel about them, even if you think they should. Simply letting someone know you appreciate them is an easy way to make them feel good about themselves and appreciate you in return.
- Always offer your help when someone needs it. It can be as easy as getting your neighbor’s mail while they’re away on vacation, but it’s still a way to lend a helping hand. Letting others know your help is there if they need it will cause them to view you in a positive light and will make their life easier.
- Allow someone to vent to you when they’re having a hard time. Sometimes all someone needs to feel better is to vent out all their frustration, and even if you don’t know exactly what advice to give them, sometimes just simply listening to them is all they need.
- Preform random acts of kindness. Things such as holding the door open for someone or paying it forward when you’re at your favorite coffee shop can have a huge impact on someone’s day, even if you don’t realize it.