Your Guide to the Perfect Staycation
Enjoying some vacation time doesn’t always require hopping on a plane!
With the last remnants of winter still lingering in the air it’s harder than ever to prevent your mind from slipping into a daydream about sunny skies and crystal clear oceans. Though this winter has been fairly mild, it seems to be never-ending, and our yearning to escape the snow, as well as reality, is growing stronger and stronger. Unfortunately, the best escape most of us have is the daydream itself. Vacations and getaways are costly, and not all of us have the opportunity to take off work and hop on a plane for a week’s worth of relaxation and fun. Instead, we’re forced to suffer through the winter blues with no means of escaping; living vicariously through Instagram posts flooded with pictures of tropical islands and tanned skin. Instead of wallowing in envy and jealousy, which is only making yourself feel worse, the best thing to do is to make the most of what you have. Though your hometown may not be a five star resort with endless Piña Coladas and turquoise waters, you can still find ways to enjoy what it has to offer. Instead of spending hours on your social media wishing it was possible to teleport to the places you see on your phone screen, bring the fun and relaxation to yourself! Here’s Your Guide to the Perfect Staycation.
THE GROUND RULES
- Say Goodbye to Your Cellphone
First things first, in order to have a perfect staycation there’s one very important rule you must follow – NO CELLPHONES! Whether you’re the type of person that’s glued to your phone or not, knowing that your phone is always in reach is you basically asking to be tempted into sneaking onto social media and stalking everyone’s posts of the perfect vacation they’re on. News flash – social media can be deceiving! Just because someone may look like they’re having the time of their life through their tweets and Instagram posts doesn’t necessarily mean they’re living it up. None of us knows what goes on behind closed doors, so why even let their so-called “perfect vacation” be a thought in your mind? Keep your cellphone in a different room at all times, and maybe even turn it off! If you don’t see it you’re less likely to be drawn in by its forceful, magnetic powers.
- Set Your Intentions
Now that we have the no cellphone rule in order, it’s time to get into the right mindset. Before any vacation you’ve ever been on you’re sure to have set your intentions for the trip. You tell yourself it’s going to be a great time filled with fun, memories, and maybe one too many daiquiris on the beach. No matter what plans you have for yourself, you always expect that your vacation is going to be fun and relaxing, so why make your staycation any different? If you go into your staycation with a negative mindset because you’d rather be 1,000 miles away in a different country, then you’re not likely to have a good time. A staycation is all about making the best out of what you have and that can’t be achieved if you don’t go into it with an open mind and positive attitude!
- Invite Some Company
Unlike the previous two rules this one is optional as some of us prefer to adventure on our own. However, if you find that you’re happier when surrounded by friends and family, then so be it! More often than not we travel in groups, so why should your staycation be any different? Call up some people you’d like to spend time with and invite them to enjoy your staycation with you! More company means more laughs, which, of course, will turn into more memories. So gather up a group of people you love being around and let the fun begin.
Now that the rules are all sorted out, it’s time for the fun part…
50 STAYCATION IDEAS
- Break out your hiking boots and hike a nearby trail – just make sure you don’t get lost!
- Find out where you can rent canoes or kayaks and spend the day exploring the waters.
- Enjoy a picnic in the park or on the beach.
- Spice up your wardrobe – go on a shopping spree at your local thrift store. You never know what gems you can find hidden among the racks.
- Visit a farmer’s market and then make the yummiest smoothie you can imagine (all while pretending to enjoy it laying on the beach).
- See if there are any fairs or festivals nearby and spend the day eating funnel cakes, playing games, and enjoying the crowds and music.
- Go to the zoo or aquarium.
- Embrace your inner child and go ice or roller skating.
- Go camping (or if you don’t want to fully commit to camping, then set up a tent in your backyard).
- Have a bonfire on the beach. Grill up some food for dinner and end the meal with s’mores.
- Explore a town or city nearby that you’ve never been to. Do some shopping and enjoy a meal at a restaurant you’ve never heard of.
- Visit a museum.
- Go mini-golfing and come up with a prize for the winner.
- Tie-dye. T-shirts, sweatshirts, shorts, a sheet – whatever you can imagine!
- Go on a wine tour.
- Have a movie marathon.
- Host game night. Go all out with snacks, drinks, and prizes.
- Get crafty! Use your imagination and create something, whether it be a painting, making your own jewelry, or building something from scratch.
- Pamper yourself – go to your local spa and get the works! Manicure/pedicure, full body massage, and a soothing facial.
- Binge watch a TV series you’re constantly hearing about.
- Take a day trip. Search online for things to do and places nearby.
- Stay in a hotel. Even if you’re only a few blocks from home, spending a night in a hotel gives the illusion that you’re away on vacation. Watch some movies and order room service.
- Read a book (or an entire series).
- Treat yourself to dinner at a fancy restaurant.
- Go on a beer tasting tour.
- Have your own in-home spa day. Soak in a bubble bath, put on a facemask, and sip some wine.
- Watch tutorials online to learn how to give yourself the perfect manicure.
- Change things up a little. Re-arrange your bedroom or your entire house.
- Gather up some new recipes and put your cooking skills to the test.
- Itching to swim in a pool? You can always find an indoor public pool somewhere.
- Go on a bike ride.
- See a show – an opera, dance recital, Broadway show, concert – anything.
- Host a potluck or a barbecue.
- Go stargazing with binoculars and a telescope. Drive somewhere that’s fairly dark so you can see more stars!
- Make a time capsule.
- Throw a themed party and invite your friends and family.
- Go to a comedy show and laugh ‘til your stomach hurts.
- Learn a new skill or sport.
- Go horseback riding (just be prepared for sore legs).
- Spend an afternoon in the arcade (Dave & Buster’s is basically an amusement park for adults).
- Snowing outside? Reminisce on your favorite childhood memories. Have a snowball fight or a snowman building contest.
- Check out any local garage sales or flea markets and find some hidden treasures.
- Repurpose your clothing. Find items you don’t wear much anymore and come up with creative ways to alter them so they look completely different.
- Learn some new hairstyles or makeup tips by watching tutorials online.
- Go to an amusement park.
- Check out a sporting event you wouldn’t normally watch or attend, you may realize you love it!
- Add some inspiration to your life and create your own Vision Board.
- Spend an entire day outside. Be sure to watch the sunrise and sunset.
- Create your own workout routine.
- Be a tourist for a day. Check out those places that you always avoid due to crowds. Finally see for yourself what the fuss is all about.