Handbags are one of the hottest accessories in the world of fashion. They are as unique and telling as the person toting them around. The next time you need a conversation starter, these unique historical facts about the beloved handbag should do the trick. Be sure to check out the gorgeous must-have bags in TRUE’s Favorite Finds. These unique bags are sure to make a statement.
History of Handbags
Middle Ages -18th Century.
- Prior to handbags, men and women typically wore small pouches that were attached to a sash or belt.
- The pouches or type of bag a person wore indicated the person’s social status or occupation.
- Leather and luxurious textiles were used to make the pouches and bags.
- The first purses began emerging in the 1700’s, typically as a pouch with a braided drawstring that was meant to be worn around one’s wrist.
- By the end of the 17th and beginning of the 18th century these purses were transformed and became known as reticules (Latin for little net).
- Women often made handbags for themselves, but professionals had emerged at this time.
- This style of purse resulted from the demand for a bag that could be carried by hand, but large enough to contain personal items when traveling.
- Reticules were viewed as a scandalous accessory, as they symbolized female independence.
- Reticule styles varied greatly throughout the 19th century with the pocketbook peaking in popularity.
- By the end of the century the oversized bag was the preferred style.
20th Century- Present.
- As fashion continued to change and evolve, so too did purses, with purse designs being dependent on clothing size.
- Purse fashions are still constantly evolving, changing, and are revisited and reworked. This is why at any given time there are numerous styles of purses that are all current.
- Many of today’s favorite designs and styles can be traced back centuries.
- Purses are still statement pieces that can be used to signify status or convey ones personal sense of style or identity.
True’s Favorite Finds
If you are going to Splurge, it is always smart to invest in a piece that is timeless. Check out these gorgeous classics that are sure to withstand the test of time!
Don’t Break the Bank:
You do not have to break the bank in order to buy a good quality stylish bag! These picks promise not to disappoint, with their classic designs and rich leather fabrics.
Find it Here: http://www.stevemadden.com/Item.aspx?id=103661
The Cruelty Free Option:
Cruelty free and vegan purses are a great option for the girl who wants a great looking purse without a guilty conscience. The Danielle Nicole line creates beautifully constructed bags that are made from a leather alternative, making them surprisingly affordable. Danielle Nicole bags are sure to make a statement with their beautiful colors and interesting shapes.
Local and Handmade:
Check out TRUE’s pick for the hottest handmade bags that can be found locally, here in New York City!
Featuring: LUSCIOUS LEATHER NYC
If you want to find high quality items that are locally made, these handmade bags are sure to win you over. Aixa Sobin creator and owner of LusciousleatherNYC, designs handsome leather bags. Aixa, along with her husband, are the manufacturing duo of LusciousleatherNYC, personally crafting all of the bags by hand. Their bags are the epitome of high quality, constructed from a single piece of leather and stitched together by hand. If you want a one of a kind unique bag this is the shop for you, with each bag made to order, specifically for you.
Featuring: Marketa New York
If you want to accessorize with unique colors and metallic tones, Marketa New York is the designer for you. Marketa Psenickova, designer and owner of Marketa New York, created her New York line after graduating from FIT. Marketa bags get their edge from their perfect pairing of clean minimalist designs with rich luxurious textiles, resulting in must have bags for any fashion enthusiast looking for a stand out piece.
Whether you are looking to splurge or dreaming of a gorgeous handmade bag, TRUE’s list of timeless handbags are guaranteed to give you what you want. The handbag is a classic statement piece that says something about YOU, so take control and make sure that your bag conveys exactly what you want it to.
Until next time,
Disclaimer: Images are property of Chanel, Aldo, Steve Madden, Danielle Nicole, LushiousleatherNYC, and MarketaNewYork, respectively.
Sources: What People Wore When Edited by Melissa Leventon and Accessories to Modernity: Fashion and the Feminine in Nineteenth-Century France by Susan Hiner.