20 Fun & Healthy Activities for the Winter Season
Keep yourself active and entertained all winter long.
The thing that stinks about the winter season is that as the temperatures drop we’d rather spend our days cuddled up in bed under a mountain of blankets rather than brave the cold outdoors. We get lazy and laziness often leads to overeating – an unhealthy combination no one should welcome with open arms. Although it may be too cold out during the winter to do some things you’d like, there’s still tons of outdoor activities you can participate in that will get your blood pumping and make it easier to handle the chilling temperatures. Not only will you be having fun, but you’ll also be getting some exercise and staying healthy without even realizing it. If you’ve got the winter blues and are finding that you’d rather cuddle up indoors all day with a pile of snacks, here are 20 Fun and Healthy Activities for the Winter Season that will get you up and moving while having a blast.
- Break out the skates and head over to your nearest ice rink.
- Bundle up and go on a hike – everything looks prettier covered in snow!
- Go skiing/snowboarding.
- Have a snowball fight with your friends and family – winning team gets to warm up with big mugs of hot cocoa!
- Go ice fishing.
- Head to the city to see the annual performance of The Nutcracker, which runs until January 4th.
- Practice your chef skills and learn a bunch of new healthy recipes (emphasis on “healthy” so you won’t feel so bad about how much you indulged this holiday season!
- Celebrate New Years in Times Square – just make sure you bring hand and toe warmers!
- Put on those extra layers and take a walk down Saks Fifth Avenue to check out the holiday window displays.
- Have a snowman-building contest.
- Visit City Bakery in NYC for their 23rd annual Hot Chocolate Festival. Each day in February features a new flavor of the popular winter drink, ranging from dark hot chocolate to cinnamon hot chocolate.
- Go sightseeing and snap some pictures of your favorite views.
- Take your dog for a walk through the park – just make sure they’re bundled up, they get cold too!
- Come up with exercise routines to do when the streets are too snowy to make it to the gym.
- Bundle up and attend the 3rd annual Winter Carnival at the Winter Village at Bryant Park taking place January 27 – February 4.
- Set up obstacle courses and relay races in your house when it’s too bitter cold to head outside.
- Build a hill to go sledding/snow tubing down, or check out parks in your town to see if there are any big hills there to test out.
- Head over to the Long Island Aquarium and spend your day hanging out and taking pictures with penguins!
- When there’s a blizzard and you’re stuck inside, host your own cooking competition and see who can make the yummiest meal out of only healthy ingredients.
- Spend the day snowshoeing and the night cuddled up next to a warm fire watching movies.